Friday, June 6, 2008

Day 7: Adventures in Twillingate

Location: Clarenville, NL

We spent the day driving thru Twillingate ... repeatedly :) We wanted to go iceberg watching, but the sea was too active so the tour wasn't running this morning. We were told the swells were 10-12 feet high! They told us to stick around for the afternoon tour and see what happens, so we had some time to kill :)

Here's a map of our stops in Twillingate


View Larger Map

We took a drive to Durrell and stopped in their museum. Durrell is like a sister town to Twillingate (see map.) After we went to the museum, my mom and I walked back on a trail thinking we might be able to see the big iceberg from yesterday, but we gave up after about 15 mins. So to reward ourselves we stopped at the Auk Island Winery and sampled a bunch of wines :) It's nice to be tipsy before noon ...

These were taken from where my Great Aunt and Uncle Dolson used to live. They spent their summers in Twillingate and their winters in Florida until they moved to Wasaga Beach, ON a few years ago. The view from up here is AMAZING! My parents were able to visit them before they moved and could see whales in the bay from the livingroom!





This is taken from a The Cozy Tea Room and Bakery (mmm ... walnut squares ...) My uncle's cottage is the brown bldg in the top right.



This is a pic of their son's home (the one with the long dock.) He still summers in Twillingate, but he hadn't arrive yet.



Some pics of the town ...










While I was snapping some of the pics above one of the locals came up and started talking to me about the big iceberg (the one we saw yesterday.) He told us to go to the dump in Durrell for a good view of it. We thought he was kidding ...






We figured, since the swells were so high and the sun was shinin', that another trip out to the lighthouse was in order ...









Our B&B ...



To travel thru Twillingate takes maybe 5 minutes, so the repetitive driving we did today wasn't a big deal :) If you take a peek at the map, Twillingate is in a cove and the town is on either side of it. Durrell is just a stone's throw away. In fact, if I hadn't noticed the sign for the Durrell Museum I wouldn't have known we'd left Twillingate ... momentarily :)

We weren't able to do the afternoon iceberg tour either so we headed out of Twillingate around 2 this afternoon. We're hoping we can find another spot between Clarenville and St John's where we can go out on a tour.

Tomorrow: whale watching ... I think :) Or St John's.

1 comment:

Miyuki Mouse said...

Seems like you had another good day. The scenery in your photos is so different and nice...! And I guess you figured out the meese and their antlers, eh?

Unfortunately I am flying out today, so I won't be able to follow your blog in real-time from this point forward. I'll catch up when I get back home. Hope the rest of your journey goes well.

-Miyuki

P.S. Re: the song I keep quoting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I's_The_B'y